April 1, 2017

Landcruiser Prado alternator charging issue


Driving back from Canberra to Melbourne I saw the brake warning light, air flow/filter light and battery charge warning light all came on simultaneously. This indicates charging issues.

Note: I immediately turned off the aircon, stereo, and driving lights to conserve the battery. I was able to drive 250km/5hrs back home. I could even start the engine afterwards (good to know!!)

Symptoms
- Three warning lights above light up
- Checked and cleaned all battery connectors, no fix
- Checked and cleaned alternator connectors, same issue

Fix:

Most likely this is due to brush being worn out. My prado is 21 yrs old / 330K+ kms. Bought the brush from ebay ($25). It says for Landcruiser 80 series but apparently it's the same.


Take out the Alternator. You need to remove the screw below it, then above. Once all is off simply lift up/wiggle it out of the engine bay

Remove the 3 cover bolts at the back (one connector bolt) and take out the old brush and replace.



You can see compare how worn the old brushes are from 21 years of use. Reassemble and test.







1 comment:

  1. Hi I have the same problem Brake, air flow and battery lights on all the time. Have 14.2 volts showing when the engine is running Checked all earths and wiring visable. No joy so i put a brand new alternator on showing 14.2 volts charging. The lights went out for a short time and ar now on again and will not go out. I have drive the prado for 650klm with the lights on with no problems still showing a charge 14.2v Have had Toyota Mechanics look at the Prado and still the lights are on. Q. My question is Does anyone realy know what causes the LIGHTS ON THE DASH to stay on All I want is to tun them OFF. Kind Regards All Graeme

    ReplyDelete